August Move of the Month – Tricep Dips
Week 1: Floor or Standing in Front of Reformer using Footbar
Week 2: Shortbox on Floor or Shortbox on Reformer with No Movement
Week 3: Shortbox Dips With Reformer Pressed Away (feet on wooden plank)
Week 4: Long Back Stretch, Plain Dips In Long Back Position or Repeat Week 3
How To Perform Tricep Dips:
- Position your hands shoulder-width apart with fingers pointing towards your torso a secured mat/box
- Slide your butt off the mat/box with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle. Be sure to keep your back close to the box.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the bench to straighten your elbows, returning to the starting position. This completes one rep.
Keep your shoulders down as you lower and raise your body. You can bend your legs to modify this exercise.
Do a set of 12-15 reps, rest and do one more set.
You can perform this exercise anywhere! Dips are complex in that they require movements in a number of joints. Dips promote the development of multiple muscle groups (chest, triceps and anterior shoulder) at the same time. This complex exercise enhances strength and coordination with regular tasks you carry out every day while greatly improving your posture!